The Detroit Tigers (22-19) visit bean town for a two game series against the Boston Red Sox (21-20). The Red Sox are 12-9 at home this season and 7-3 in their last ten games. The Tigers are 11-11 on the road this season and 8-2 in their last ten games.
Wednesday May 18th 2011 7:10 PM Fenway Park
Thursday May 19th 2011 7:10 PM Fenway Park
|Guillen, Carlos (LF)||05/17||15-day DL||TBD||Left knee soreness||Took ground balls on May 10.|
|Ordonez, Magglio (RF)||05/17||15-day DL||TBD||Right ankle weakness||Scheduled for examination May 17.|
|Zumaya, Joel (P)||05/11||60-day DL||Likely 2012||Right elbow inflammation||Underwent surgery May 10.|
|Jenks, Bobby (P)||05/17||15-day DL||Possibly June||Right biceps strain||Examined by doctor May 16.|
|Lackey, John (P)||05/17||15-day DL||TBD||Right elbow strain||Placed on DL retroactive to May 12.|
|Scutaro, Marco (SS)||05/15||15-day DL||Mid-May||Injury to left side||Underwent MRI May 8.|
|Tazawa, Junichi (P)||05/05||60-day DL||July||Torn ulnar collateral ligament||Could begin rehab assignment in late May.|
|Wheeler, Dan (P)||05/15||15-day DL||Possibly May 20||Calf strain||Made Triple-A rehab appearance May 14.|
- Jhonny Peralta has hit .462 with a double, 4 homers and 7 RBI the last 5 games. Bash his defense and range all you want people, JP is batting .305 this season.
- Justin Verlander has allowed just two hits and one earned run his last 18 innings. Verlander is a perfect 9-9 in quality starts this season and an American League leading 62 strikeouts this season.
- Adrian Gonzalez is batting .385 with 2 doubles, 5 homers and 12 RBI in his last 6 games.
- Josh Beckett has a 1.75 ERA and a 0.90 WHIP in 51 1/3 innings this season. He hasn’t allowed a run over his last three starts–a span of 17 1/3 innings. The Tigers face off against Beckett on Thursday.
- Alex Avila has just one hit in his last 13 at-bats–nothing major but worth noting. Avila has been a pleasant surprise this season batting .268 with 6 homers and 24 RBI!
- Brandon Inge is batting just .167 over his last seven games.Cringe also is batting just .202 with 9 extra-base hits this season.
- Carl Crawford is batting just .192 over his last six games. The $142 million man is also hitting just .208 with 9 extra-base hits and 6 stolen bases this season.
I see the Tigers splitting the series, grabbing a win in the series finale. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if Boston swept the mini-series. Cleveland continues to find ways to win so hopefully the Tigers win at least one game!
*Injury Updates and Pitching Preview information obtained from MLB.COM