Yoenis Cespedes Receives Offer From Miami Marlins

According to a report from Eric Reynoso of Cafe Fuerte, a Spanish language news website that covers Cuba and Miami, the Miami Marlins have made an offer to Yoenis Cespedes after meeting with him face-to-face this week. Reynoso relayed information from a source who said the offer was for around $40 million over six years. That would put his annual salary close to $6.67 million. For comparison, Delmon Young, now in his last year before free agency, recently received a $6.75 million one-year contract from the Detroit Tigers.

March 18, 2009; San Diego, CA, USA; Cuba center fielder Yoennis Cespedes (51) runs into third base following a stand-up triple during the sixth inning in the second round of the World Baseball Classic against Japan at Petco Park in San Diego, CA. Mandatory Credit: Photo By Christopher Hanewinckel-US PRESSWIRE

Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald later tweeted that the Marlins’ offer to Cespedes was actually for less than the previously quoted figure.

On Thursday evening, Cespedes returned to the Dominican Republic, where he finally established residence not long ago, after meeting with Miami. As far as we know, he did not meet with any other teams during his short stay in the United States. Reynoso’s source also said that Cespedes and his agent, Adam Katz, do not currently have plans to meet with any other teams.

While we still have no new information that connects him to the Tigers, today’s news gives us a fair idea of the likely price range that will be required to land the most highly coveted player left on the free agent market. Besides Miami, Detroit will have to compete with, most notably, the Chicago Cubs if they wish to add the athletic Cuban defector to their outfield. The Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Indians, and Chicago White Sox also are known to have some interest in Cespedes.

The Marlins, with a large Cuban population in the area and Emilio Bonifacio set to patrol center field at their new ballpark, would be a very logical destination for Cespedes. That said, $40 million seems like a very beatable number for other potential bidders. Estimates for the value of his potential contract have been as high as $60 million.

About two weeks ago, Danny Knobler of CBS Sports told us that Cespedes had “told teams he would prefer not to play in Miami.” This conflicts with the more recent quote from Cespedes, “Hopefully I can play for the Marlins.” It’s still unclear what he actually wants or what he might be saying to gain leverage with other teams.

It’s unclear how much the Tigers are willing to spend after handing a lucrative $214 million nine-year contract to Prince Fielder. Detroit already owes over $127 million to 18 players for 2012 according to Cot’s Baseball Contracts without factoring salaries owed to players not yet eligible for arbitration. They may have to shell out well beyond $40 million to sign Cespedes, as their location would probably not be as appealing and they would be unlikely to give him much time in center field, his natural position.

It should be noted as well that Cespedes can negotiate freely but cannot actually sign a deal with any major league club until the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control legally clears him.

How much do you think it will take to add him and do you think the Tigers should pull the trigger?

Topics: Detroit Tigers, Miami Marlins, Yoenis Cespedes, Yoennis Cespedes

Want more from Motor City Bengals?  
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.
  • valordesign

    To me, that offer is much lower than what I was expecting from a Marlins team that looks desperate to land a potential Cuban superstar. It is exciting because I thought the Tigers would be out of it of the bat. It turns out, I could reasonably see the Tigers signing him at this point, maybe for the 40 to 50 mill range. He is a risky signing but I think with the new CBA agreement effecting international players, the low draft picks due to the Tigers coming up, as well defense they would get from him in the spacious Comerica outfield, I don’t see this as risky as it might sound.

    I don’t like his lengthy swing, but I think it could be worked on, he would definitely need some adjustment to off speed pitches. 8 mill per year for one of the most impressive Cuban prospects in ages it seems would be worth it.

    • garretkc

      @valordesign I agree that the Tigers could use a young potential star the way their organization is set up right now. That said, there are a lot of legitimate concerns. In the end, I definitely trust the judgment of Dave Dombrowski and company in this case. They seem very educated on Cespedes.

  • ChrisHannum

    It wouldn’t surprise me if he signs with Miami for less than he could get elsewhere, or without even fielding offers from other teams. Moving to the US is a traumatic experience for any international signee, and no other city can offer the Cuban community that Miami has.

    • Matt Snyder

      @ChrisHannum Although, I’ve heard rumors that he may shy away from Miami because there might be too much fanfare/pressure for him to succeed, and succeed right away. I agree, though, that Miami seems like a logical fit.

  • http://calltothepen.com/ SorianoJoe

    Cespedes is the least risky Cuban prospect that I can remember, but I’m a young guy so that doesn’t mean much. In any case, Cespedes’s power and respectable defense in CF makes him an attractive proposition for any team, but he’s definitely a better fit with Miami than Detroit. The Marlins really need a CF like Cespedes, and, as Chris mentioned, the ability to transition to life in a new country is key. The Cuban community in Miami is certainly welcoming, and it should help alleviate the stress of moving and help Cespedes out. The Tigers don’t have the flexibility that Miami has and can’t go much further than Miami in terms of money. It would most likely take more money for Detroit to add him than the Marlins. It’s worth a shot, but it probably won’t happen.

    http://www.calltothepen.com

  • garretkc

    Update from MLBTR: “two National League sources tell MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro that the Cubs are no longer seriously in the mix. Chicago has apparently shifted its focus to 19-year-old Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler”

TEAMFeed More Tigers news from the Fansided Network

Hot on the Web From golf.com