Why do a mock draft? Well why not? They are fun, and really, I have about as good a shot at picking guys as anyone else I guess. No need to waste a lot of time introducing this. If you want to see who I have mocked for our Detroit Tigers, continue reading on.
1. Houston Astros- Jonathan Gray (P) I don’t think the Adderall thing scares the Astros off. In fact, it might make it so they get Gray at a discount.
2. Chicago Cubs- Mark Appel (P) Appel goes here because Gray went first. Two best players in the draft, and even if baseball doesn’t draft for need. The Cubs need good pitchers, so it’s a fit.
3. Colorado Rockies- Kris Bryant (3B)- I think Bryant is the best hitter in the draft, so why not if you’re Colorado?
4. Minnesota Twins- Reese McGuire (C)- This one really is a crapshoot, so I will go with a bit of surprise. Kohl Stewart is going here in most mocks.
5. Cleveland Indians- Braden Shipley (P)- Cleveland likes college players and Shipley is the best college pitcher at this spot.
6. Miami Marlins- Clint Frazier (OF)- Miami can afford to go the high school route, and Frazier I believe has a chance to be the best hitter out of the high school crop.
7. Boston Red Sox- Kohl Stewart (P)- Too much upside for Boston to pass on.
8. Kansas City Royals- Phil Bickford (P)- With Colin Moran still on the board in my mock, this is a surprise, but Bickford has a fantastic arm, draws Jared Weaver comparisons.
9. Pittsburgh Pirates- Colin Moran (3B)- I imagine Pittsburgh would be ecstatic with this scenario.
10. Toronto Blue Jays- Austin Meadows (OF)- Meadows has a ton of talent, and his athleticism is a Jays kind of pick.
11. New York Mets- Hunter Renfroe (OF)- I think the Mets go bat, and they go college. Renfroe is the best of what’s left.
12. Seattle Mariners- Trey Ball (P)- Most have Seattle on a couple of hitters, but in my scenario, the upside of Ball is too much to pass up.
13. San Diego- Dom Smith (OF/1B)- Smith is a pure hitter and I just have a feeling the Padres will add bats.
14. Pittsburgh Pirates- J.P. Crawford (SS)- Best high school SS prospect out there.
15. Arizona Diamondbacks- D.J. Peterson (3B/1B)- Peterson is another college bat that can hit a little bit, and could stick at third base.
16. Philadelphia Phillies- Austin Wilson (OF)- Phillies love themselves some tools, and Wilson has them.
17. Chicago White Sox- Ryne Stanek (P)- If we are going on talent, Stanek fits here.
18. L.A. Dodgers- Ian Clarkin (P)- The California lefty has been attached to the Dodgers for a while.
19. St. Louis Cardinals- Tim Anderson (SS)- Anderson is a perfect pick for an organization that believes they can develop. And the Cardinals can.
20. Detroit Tigers- Alex Gonzalez (P)- Tigers get a solid pitcher with mid-rotation upside out of Oral Roberts
21. Tampa Bay Rays- Aaron Judge (OF)- Judge is physically gifted, and the Rays seemed to get suckered in by these types of offensive talents.
22. Baltimore Orioles- Chris Anderson (P)- The hard throwing righty out of Jacksonville is a good fit in this slot, and could even go earlier.
23. Texas Rangers- Hunter Harvey (P)- Harvey is affordable but also has pretty massive upside. Two things the Rangers like.
24. Oakland A’s- Eric Jagielo (3B)- Jagielo can swing the bat and seems to fit the A’s profile nicely.
25. San Francisco Giants- Rob Kaminsky (P)- Giants should be ecstatic to get this guy here.
26. New York Yankees- Sean Manaea (P)- Do I really think Manaea will last this long? Probably not, but his talent means he might not sign.
27. Cincinnati Reds- Jonathan Crawford (P)- Crawford has really good stuff, but may ultimately end up in the pen.
28. St. Louis Cardinals- Nick Ciuffo (C)- Solid catcher that has some two way potential.
29. Tampa Bay Rays- Marco Gonzalez (P)- He gets overlooked, but gets a lot out of his repertoire.
30. Texas Rangers- Devin Williams (P)- Another Texas type. Athletic pitcher with a bit of buzz.
31. Atlanta Braves- Josh Hart (OF)- Braves like local guys. What can I say?
32. New York Yankees- Billy McKinney (OF) McKinney is one of the best high school hitters in the draft.
33. New York Yankees- Matt Krook (P)- Young lefty with good velocity.
34. Kansas City Royals- Alex Balog (P)- Balog would be a really good value here.
35. Miami Marlins- Kyle Serrano (P)- Serrano is a tough sign, but has talent to drafted much higher than this.
36. Arizona Diamondbacks- Jon Denney (C)- Denney goes a bit higher than this in most drafts.
37. Baltimore Orioles- Oscar Mercado (SS)- Mercado is a natural SS, but there are questions about the bat.
38. Cincinnati Reds- Andrew Thurman (P)- Thurman has solid middle of the rotation potential due to a varied arsenal.
39. Detroit Tigers- Hunter Green (P)- Green is a power lefty out of high school in Kentucky.
Well, there it is. Another mock draft that will likely be blown up by the 10th pick in the draft, as per usual when it comes to the major league baseball draft. But I had fun doing it. Hopefully, you had a little bit of interest reading it…