Max Scherzer started today for the Detroit Tigers as they faced off against and beat the Atlanta Braves 9-3. While Scherzer had some issues with the long ball this afternoon, the Tigers’ offense, lead by Miguel Cabrera, kept the Tigers on top. Max pitched six and two thirds innings, gave up three runs(two earned) on four hits, two of which were homers. He walked two and struck out six to end his Spring Training with a 3.71ERA. Cabrera hit a three run home run in the fifth inning to give the Tigers the lead and they never looked back.
- Victor Martinez, Bryan Holaday, and Alex Gonzalez all posted two hits with Martinez and Gonzalez both tallying an RBI.
- The only Tigers starters without hits today have been the hottest bats all Spring, Nick Castellanos and Austin Jackson, though Jackson ran out a wild pitch on a strike out and scored a run.
- New shortstop acquisition Gonzalez booted another play, allowing a base runner that eventually scored.
- Joe Nathan recovered well from the disaster that was his last appearance. He pitched an inning and a third, sitting down all batters he faced and striking out two.
- Corey Knebel closed out the final inning sitting the Braves in order with a strike out.
The Tigers play their final Grapefruit League home game tomorrow against the Tampa Bay Rays at 1:05pm.