Detroit Tigers (72-60) at Chicago White Sox (60-73) — 8:10 p.m. ET
U.S. Cellular Field — Chicago, IL
TV: Fox Sports Detroit
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 78 degrees, 40 percent chance of storms
- The Chicago White Sox have been playing fairly awful lately, losers of 9 of their last 10, but they have fared pretty well against the Detroit Tigers this season, splitting the first 12 games of the season series.
- With the conclusion of the Yankees series, the Tigers will play eight of the final nine series of the regular season against AL Central opponents. The only exception to that is the San Francisco Giants next weekend in Detroit.
- This means the Tigers will sink or swim against their division rivals in September and have a 26-23 record against the Central heading into tonight.
- The Tigers will likely see ex-prospect Avisail Garcia in this series. Injured early in the season, Garcia had been listed as “out-for-season,” but made a rapid recovery.
- Quietly, the Tigers have won four out of their last five games.
When We Last Met
Drew Smyly and Austin Jackson started what would turn out to be their final game in Tigers’ uniforms the last time these two teams met, a listless 7-4 loss for Detroit which had a memorable moment when Jackson left the field after the trade was finalized sending David Price to the Tigers. The White Sox have won four of the last six games in the season series.
Justin Verlander (11-11, 4.82) had a so-so effort in his first game in two weeks his last time out, picking up the victory. He allowed four runs on eight hits over 5.2 innings of an 8-6 win over the Twins last Saturday. Justin has started three games against Chicago this series to mixed results, having one really good game, an okay game, and a disaster. The disaster took place in his last start against them, allowing seven runs on eight hits in 5.2 innings.
Scott Carroll (5-8, 5.05) had a tough outing his last time out, allowing five runs (four earned) on seven hits over six innings of work in a 5-3 loss to the Yankees. Carroll has fallen apart recently, allowing 21 runs over his last four starts and giving up at least four runs in five of his last six outings. He has not faced Detroit this season.
Detroit Tigers Lineup
- Ian Kinsler-2B
- Torii Hunter-RF
- Miguel Cabrera-1B
- Victor Martinez-DH
- J.D. Martinez-LF
- Nick Castellanos-3B
- Alex Avila-C
- Eugenio Suarez-SS
- Ezequiel Carrera
- Anibal Sanchez - 15-day DL
- Joakim Soria - 15-day DL
- Luke Putkonen - Out indefinitely
- Andy Dirks - Out indefinitely
- Joel Hanrahan - 60-day DL
- Jose Iglesias - Out for season
- Bruce Rondon - Out for season