Tigers 3, Royals 1 (box score)
- I doubt anything more can be said about Justin Verlander that hasn’t been said before. Even so, his performance tonight justified all that talk again tonight. JV pushed his season WHIP under 1.00 and his ERA under 3.00. Just like last time out, opposing hitters had a hard time making good contact. No-hit bids can’t ever become the norm but I think it is fair to say that Verlander has reached a new level in his career so far.
- The Tigers offense has been in a good groove as of late and while today’s hit total of seven isn’t exactly an offensive onslaught, the way the Tigers got there is another example of a consistent offensive outing. How did they get to seven hits? Seven different players had exactly one hit tonight.
- Magglio may have hit the DL today but that doesn’t mean there won’t be some adventures in right field.
- Brandon Inge saw a total of six pitches in his three at bats tonight. Probably a good formula limiting yourself to the Mendoza line. No other Tigers hitter saw fewer than 12 pitches tonight.
- Eric Hosmer is the new hotness when it comes to prospect talk. He went 0-4 with two strike outs in his first game against the Tigers.