For the most recent week passed – Friday, July 19 – Thursday, July 25:
1. Detroit Tigers 56 – 44
2. Cleveland Indians 53 – 48
3. Kansas City Royals 47 – 51
4. Minnesota Twins 43 – 55
5. Chicago White Sox 39 – 59
POWER RANKING/LAST TEN GAMES
1. Detroit Tigers 6 – 4
2. Cleveland Indians 6 – 4
3. Minnesota Twins 6 – 4
4. Kansas City Royals 4 – 6
5. Chicago White Sox 4 – 6
- The TIGERS remain maddeningly inconsistent on offense, wasting a great start by Anibal Sanchez in a 1-0 loss to the Royals, then getting shackled by KC’s bullpen for 4 scoreless innings the next night…Victor Martinez continued his torrid July pace, pushing his average over .270 and spraying line drives all over, and occasionally out of, the yard…Prince Fielder’s numbers are not too bad, but somehow this season seems disappointing. Defensively he is abysmal, and needs to DH in favor of V-Mart more often. I think we knew that it would be a longshot for Fielder to live up to his bloated contract, but we would all trade a World Series crown (or two) for the long-term pain. With Miguel Cabrera gimping around on a sore hip, now is the time for Prince to pick up some serious slack…My bet is that Jhonny Peralta cuts the best deal he possibly can and accepts his suspension this season. From a contract negotiation standpoint, he has too much to lose with a possible suspension looming in 2014.
- The INDIANS kept pace with the division leaders, and were very close to making up ground, as all of their losses were by one run. Scott Kazmir completed a stellar month of July (2-0, 1.66 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, 28 K’s) with an 8-inning, one-hit throttling of the Mariners…Michael Bourn and Asdrubal Cabrera are heating up atop the lineup, fueling the Tribe’s push for the playoffs.
- The ROYALS lost ground over the past week, despite 2 more stellar outings from Ervin Santana…George Brett waved the white flag on this bunch of underachievers and stepped down from his emeritus “Purveyor of Clout” post. Who will be next – Amos Otis or Frank White?
- The TWINS won three series in a row; one in the Bronx, one vs. the Tribe, and one in Anaheim…Samuel Deduno continued to impress with a pair of victories…It’s big news when Glen Perkins gives up a run, let alone blows a save. Of course, he was able to vulture a win when it happened…Latest Justin Morneau rumors have the Pittsburgh Pirates interested.
- The WHITE SOX Jake Peavy made a strong return from the DL, defeating quality opponents in Atlanta and Detroit; scouts from several teams were in attendance for both his starts. Look for his next start to be in Bosox duds…Dayan Viciedo has hit 4 of his nine HR’s this year, and 8 of his 40 career HR’s, vs. Tigers hurlers…Alejandro DeAza has ripped at a .450 clip the past 10 games, with 2 HR’s and 2 steals…
- IF Miggy heads to the DL, how long until the Baseball Unintelligentsia begins pining for the return of Brandon Inge?
- Is Brian Wilson being considered to shore up the Tigers’ bullpen?
- Cleveland hosts the Rangers and Chisox, hoping to gain ground in the pennant race.
- How many Sox and Twins find new teams at the trade deadline?
- When will the BioGenesis shoe drop for Jhonny Peralta – and then what?