SERIES PREVIEW: Boston Red Sox vs Detroit Tigers
By Editorial Staff
The Detroit Tigers (22-19) visit bean town for a two game series against the Boston Red Sox (21-20). The Red Sox are 12-9 at home this season and 7-3 in their last ten games. The Tigers are 11-11 on the road this season and 8-2 in their last ten games.
Wednesday May 18th 2011 7:10 PM Fenway Park
Phil Coke, LHP
1-5, 4.54 ERA
Clay Buchholz, RHP
4-3, 3.94 ERA
Thursday May 19th 2011 7:10 PM Fenway Park
Justin Verlander, RHP
4-3, 2.91 ERA
Josh Beckett, RHP
3-1, 1.75 ERA
- Jhonny Peralta has hit .462 with a double, 4 homers and 7 RBI the last 5 games. Bash his defense and range all you want people, JP is batting .305 this season.
- Justin Verlander has allowed just two hits and one earned run his last 18 innings. Verlander is a perfect 9-9 in quality starts this season and an American League leading 62 strikeouts this season.
- Adrian Gonzalez is batting .385 with 2 doubles, 5 homers and 12 RBI in his last 6 games.
- Josh Beckett has a 1.75 ERA and a 0.90 WHIP in 51 1/3 innings this season. He hasn’t allowed a run over his last three starts–a span of 17 1/3 innings. The Tigers face off against Beckett on Thursday.
- Alex Avila has just one hit in his last 13 at-bats–nothing major but worth noting. Avila has been a pleasant surprise this season batting .268 with 6 homers and 24 RBI!
- Brandon Inge is batting just .167 over his last seven games.Cringe also is batting just .202 with 9 extra-base hits this season.
- Carl Crawford is batting just .192 over his last six games. The $142 million man is also hitting just .208 with 9 extra-base hits and 6 stolen bases this season.
I see the Tigers splitting the series, grabbing a win in the series finale. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if Boston swept the mini-series. Cleveland continues to find ways to win so hopefully the Tigers win at least one game!
*Injury Updates and Pitching Preview information obtained from MLB.COM
Like what you see here and want to stay informed on the happenings at MCB? Make sure to follow me on twitter or grab ourRSS feed.