Apr 4, 2014; Detroit, MI, USA; Detroit Tigers first basemanMiguel Cabrera
(24) hits a home run for his 2,000th career hit in the eighth inning against the Baltimore Orioles at Comerica Park. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports
The Detroit Tigers had their way with the Baltimore Orioles this afternoon in a 10-4 win. Anibal Sanchez had a solid, but rain shortened, start for Detroit. Sanchez struggled early, having not faced Major League hitting since March 12th. He gave up two runs on two hits and a walk in the first inning, before settling in and not allowing another hit. Sanchez did, however, walk two more batters back to back in the fourth inning, but recovered finishing his outing with a strike out. His final line reads four innings pitched, two runs on two hits, three walks and three strike outs.
There was no talk of struggle or small-ball for the Tigers’ offense this afternoon. The team combined for 17 hits, including home runs from Rajai Davis, Torii Hunter and Miguel Cabrera. Alex Avila was the only Tiger without a hit this afternoon, though he took a base on balls in the second inning.
- After the 34 minute rain delay during the bottom of the fourth inning, Drew Smyly made his first appearance of the season and was impressive. He pitched three innings, gave up no runs, one hit, one walk and struck out two and picked up the W.
- Ian Krol pitched a lightning fast eighth, sitting the Orioles down in order with a strike out, ground out to short and a fly out to left.
- Joba Chamberlain struggled mightily in the top of the ninth, giving up two runs on four hits, but was able to close out the game for Detroit. He tallied one strike out.
- Davis’ three run homer in the fourth was his first hit as a Tiger, and gave the Tigers a four run lead immediately upon return from the rain delay.
- Cabrera’s eighth inning, two-run shot was his 2,000th career hit. He went four for five at the plate today.
- Ian Kinsler, Hunter, Cabrera, Austin Jackson, and Nick Castellanos all had multiple hits.
- Castellanos notched his first career Major League RBI
- Martinez had a(somewhat uncontested) stolen base in the fourth inning.
The Tigers continue their series against Baltimore tomorrow at 1:08pm at Comerica Park.