When free agent slugger Alex Bregman declined the Tigers' six-year, $171.5 million contract offer and instead opted to sign a shorter-term deal with the Boston Red Sox, Detroit fans were left with a sour taste in their mouths. That sour taste, however, has quickly turned into sweet redemption.
Bregman's arrival at the Red Sox's spring training facility in Fort Myers, Fla., has so far caused nothing but drama. When they signed Bregman, the Red Sox already had a starting third baseman on their roster in Rafael Devers; but Bregman is clearly the better of the two, defensively speaking. Devers had minus-9 defensive runs saved last season at third base, while Bregman had plus-6 with the Houston Astros en route to winning the first Gold Glove of his career.
Needless to say, this creates an awkward situation for Devers, who signed an 11-year contract extension with Boston in 2023 under the assumption that he would be the team's starting third baseman for the foreseeable future. The Red Sox could theoretically put Bregman at third base and use Devers as a designated hitter or potentially even first base, but Devers made it painstakingly clear Monday at spring training that he has no intention of changing positions.
“They asked me a question how I feel about DH, and I gave them the answer I just gave – no," Devers said through a translator. "I don’t know what caused the change, but I know I’ve worked really hard on my defense throughout the years. I feel that last year I had a really good year. I still have a lot to go give but I definitely feel like last year was really good and I hope to continue doing that."
Rafael Devers was adamant that third base is his position. When asked if he’d be open to being the DH, he gave a simple no.
— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) February 17, 2025
🎥: @NESN pic.twitter.com/BsJYkWzbUZ
Tigers News: Alex Bregman signing has unsettling repercussions for Red Sox
Devers didn't hesitate to take a shot at the Red Sox brass when sharing that he had been asked about changing positions.
"I believe in people’s word, and I take it to heart," Devers said. "And it was very surprising that they would suggest that."
Devers signed his contract extension in 2023 under former Red Sox general manager Chaim Bloom, who was fired later that year. Craig Breslow has since taken over the helm of the front office, and seemingly does not feel obligated to honor Bloom's commitment to Devers that he would be the club's starting third baseman moving forward – which adds yet another layer of awkwardness to the whole situation.
“Different people here, right?” Red Sox manager Alex Cora said Monday. “There’s a different leader here. Chaim (Bloom) is in St. Louis now.”
It's worth noting that Cora has a history with Bregman, having served as the bench coach for the 2017 World Series champion Astros. It's also worth noting that Cora's job is likely on the line if the Red Sox don't make it back to the playoffs this year; so he may have no qualms about making a personnel change at third, even if it comes at the expense of Devers' ego.
Of course, none of this would have happened if Bregman had just signed with Detroit. There was a clear opening for him at third base, and he would have added some much-needed pop to the middle of the lineup. No feathers would have been ruffled, because he would fulfill two of the club's greatest needs. Objectively, the Tigers would have been the most obvious fit for Bregman in free agency, and it's not even close.
Instead, Bregman opted for a shorter contract with a higher annual salary to play for a club that will either force him to change positions and play second base or put him at third and make him public enemy No. 1 in the clubhouse. Maybe he regrets not taking the Tigers' offer now.
More Tigers content from Motor City Bengals
manual