Mandatory Credit: Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
Detroit Tigers(33-27) at Chicago White Sox(32-33) — 8:10pm EDT
U.S. Cellular Field — Chicago, IL
TV: Fox Sports Detroit
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket(click for radio affiliates)
Weather: 63 degrees, chance of rain
After taking their weekend series with the Boston Red Sox, but losing the final game in the ninth inning, the Detroit Tigers came into Chicago last night looking for a strong start from Rick Porcello to regain the momentum they gathered in the first two against Boston. Unfortunately, Porcello struggled and poor defense did not help his cause.
When We Last Met
Last night the Tigers and White Sox faced off with Porcello taking on Hector Noesi. The Tigers’ bats were alive, with Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez and Eugenio Suarez hitting home runs, but even this could not overcome Porcello’s troubles and lazy defense and the Tigers fell to the White Sox 6-5.
Jun 5, 2014; Detroit, MI, USA; Detroit Tigers starting pitcherJustin Verlander
(35) pitches in the first inning against the Toronto Blue Jays at Comerica Park. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports
Justin Verlander(6-5, 4.19 ERA) takes the mound for the Tigers and looks to continue the improvements he made in his last start against Toronto. Though that start was a loss in which Verlander gave up 8H and 5ER, he pitched 7 innings and looked sharper and more like Justin Verlander: Cy Young Winner, than the Justin Verlander we watched on the hill in the majority of his starts in May.
Verlander’s career numbers against the White Sox(3.98ERA) are okay, not great, and he did not fare well against Chicago last season, but he has been tough on the Sox so far this season, posting a 1-0 record with 14IP, 14H, 5R, 5BB and 11K.
Jun 4, 2014; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Chicago White Sox starting pitcherJohn Danks
(50) in the fourth inning of the game against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports
John Danks(4-5, 4.32ERA) took the win from the Tigers the only time he’s faced them this season, pitching 6.1 innings, and giving up only 1 run on 6 hits.
Danks has been fairly solid this season, and save for two blow out games against Cleveland and Houston, in which he gave up 8 and 7 runs, he has been stingy giving up runs.
More from Detroit Tigers News
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
- Rajai Davis-LF
- Ian Kinsler-2B
- Miguel Cabrera-DH
- Victor Martinez-1B
- Torii Hunter-RF
- Austin Jackson-CF
- Nick Castellanos-3B
- Alex Avila-C
- Eugenio Suarez-SS
- Miguel Cabrera — day-to-day
- Luke Putkonen – 15-day DL
- Joel Hanrahan – Out indefinitely
- Andy Dirks – 60-day DL
- Jose Iglesias – Out for season
- Bruce Rondon – Out for season
Chicago White Sox