Mandatory Credit: Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports
Detroit Tigers(54-41) at Arizona Diamondbacks(43-56) – 9:40pm EDT
Chase Field – Phoenix, AZ
TV: Fox Sports Detroit
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 101 degrees, partly cloudy
More from Detroit Tigers News
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
The Detroit Tigers are coming off a series loss to the Cleveland Indians at home, in which their heaviest hitters nearly disappeared and bull pen imploded yet again. Though momentum may have shifted at the end, as the Tigers were able to salvage the final game of the four game series with a win on the back of an excellent start by Drew Smyly, and a little power from the lineup that had been missing since returning from the All Star Break.
The Diamondbacks just finished a three game sweep of the Chicago Cubs at home.
Justin Verlander(8-8, 4.88 ERA) had yet another disappointing start in his last outing. Though he set off on the right foot, he lost it in the fifth inning, giving up four earned runs and picking up the loss. While Verlander has shown signs of improvement in most of his recent starts, he still is struggling with giving up the big inning.
Verlander has faced Arizona only once in his career, he went eight innings, gave up four hits, one walk and no runs and got the win.
Vidal Nuno(2-6, 5.10 ERA) was recently part of a trade between the Yankees and the Diamondbacks, and has pitched 12 innings for them, giving up nine hits, two walks, four runs and 11 strike outs.
Nuno has never faced the Detroit Tigers.
1. Austin Jackson – CF
2. Ian Kinsler – 2B
3. Miguel Cabrera – 3B
4. Victor Martinez – 1B
5. Torii Hunter – RF
6. Eugenio Suarez – SS
7. Bryan Holaday – C
8. Rajai Davis – LF
9. Justin Verlander – P
- Pat McCoy — 15-day DL
- Luke Putkonen – Out indefinitely
- Joel Hanrahan – Out indefinitely
- Andy Dirks – 60-day DL
- Jose Iglesias – Out for season
- Bruce Rondon – Out for season
- Cody Ross – Day-to-day
- Chris Owings – Early August?
- Bronson Arroyo – Mid-2015
- Jordan Pacheco – Ready for Opening Day
- Eric Chavez – Out indefinitely
- Cliff Pennington – August?
- A.J. Pollock – Mid-August?
- Daniel Hudson – September?
- David Hernandez – 2015
- Patrick Corbin – 2015
- Matt Reynolds – Late 2014?