Mandatory Credit: Kelvin Kuo-USA TODAY Sports
Detroit Tigers(57-43) at LA Angels(61-41) – 9:05pm EDT
Angels Stadium of Anaheim
TV: Fox Sports Detroit
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 77 degrees, sunny
More from Detroit Tigers News
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
When We Last Met
Drew Smyly pitched a phenomenal game for the Detroit Tigers, giving up only two runs on four hits and striking out 11, but the offense let him down in the run support category, only scoring one run, a Miguel Cabrera solo home run.
Justin Verlander(9-8, 4.84 ERA) has continued to struggle in his recent starts, generally pitching well up until a certain point, giving up a blow out inning, and then recovering to pitch fairly well again. The possibility that missing his off-season strength training because of his surgery seems more and more likely, as inconsistency has been his biggest problem, but things may be looking up as he gets physically stronger. His last start was definitely a step in the right direction, getting the win in Arizona, pitching six and two thirds innings, giving up three runs on six hits and three walks.
In his career against the Angels, Verlander is 4-5 with a 4.08 ERA in 79.1 innings pitched.
Matt Shoemaker(7-3, 4.54 ERA) last pitched against Baltimore, earning the loss in five and two thirds innings pitched and giving up four runs on five hits. He has never pitched against the Detroit Tigers.
1. Austin Jackson – CF
2. Ian Kinsler – 2B
3. Miguel Cabrera – 1B
4. Victor Martinez – DH
5. J.D. Martinez – LF
6. Torii Hunter – RF
7. Nick Castellanos – 3B
8. Alex Avila – C
9. Eugenio Suarez – SS
- Pat McCoy — 15-day DL
- Luke Putkonen – Out indefinitely
- Joel Hanrahan – Out indefinitely
- Andy Dirks – 60-day DL
- Jose Iglesias – Out for season
- Bruce Rondon – Out for season
Los Angeles Angels