Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
Detroit Tigers (61-48) vs New York Yankees(58-53) — 7:05 p.m. ET
Yankee Stadium – New York, NY
TV: Fox Sports Detroit / MLBN
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 79 degrees, partly cloudy
More from Detroit Tigers News
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
When We Last Met
The Detroit Tigers offense was unable to pull through for ace Max Scherzer as he struggled through seven innings. Scherzer only gave up two runs on nine hits, but was saved on multiple occasions by his defense, including a spectacular diving catch by rookie Ezequiel Carrera. Great defense was one part, the lack of offense was the other. Brandon McCarthy was lights out, even though his pitch count was elevated early. The Tigers look to provide more run support for their new ace in his Tigers’ debut.
The Detroit Tigers continue a four game series with the Yankees this evening. MCB co-editor Josie Parnell joined Rick Keeler on his Yanks Go Yard radio show to preview the upcoming series and talk about the two teams, you can listen to the show here.
David Price(11-8, 3.11 ERA) looks to start his time as a Detroit Tiger on the right foot. He is coming off a loss to Milwaukee, though he pitched well through seven innings. While there are bound to be nerves, Price is elite and should shake them easily enough. It should help that he’s familiar pitching in Yankee Stadium coming from the AL East and that he is 10-5 with a 3.66 ERA for his career.
Hiroki Kuroda(7-7, 3.98 ERA) is coming off a loss to Texas in which he pitched 7 innings, and gave up 3 runs on 9 hits. Kuroda is 0-1 with a 3.72 ERA in his career against the Detroit Tigers.
- Rajai Davis – CF
- Ian Kinsler – 2B
- Miguel Cabrera – 1B
- Victor Martinez-DH
- Torii Hunter-RF
- J.D. Martinez-LF
- Nick Castellanos– 3B
- Alex Avila– C
- Andrew Romine – SS
- Eugenio Suarez — Doubtful
- Luke Putkonen – Out indefinitely
- Andy Dirks – Out indefinitely
- Joel Hanrahan – 60-day DL
- Jose Iglesias – Out for season
- Bruce Rondon – Out for season