Detroit Tigers (63-53) at Pittsburgh Pirates (63-55) — 7:05 p.m. ET
PNC Park — Pittsburgh, PA
TV: Fox Sports Detroit, MLB Network
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 76 degrees, 60 percent chance of storms
More from Detroit Tigers News
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
Justin Verlander update
Justin Verlander left after one inning into last night’s game with an injured shoulder and was slated to have an MRI today. Fans holding their breath can exhale and be thankful something positive has happened for Detroit.
According to trainer Kevin Rand, the MRI showed inflammation, but nothing out of the ordinary for general wear and tear. The team will monitor it and he will likely miss one start.
When We Last Met
Detroit’s loss, coupled with another Kansas City victory, has dropped the Tigers 1/2 game out of first place. It is the first time since June 19 since the Tigers have been out of first place.
Taking the place of Anibal Sanchez for at least this turn through the rotation, Robbie Ray (1-1, 4.30) will get his first major league appearance since getting shelled in a May 22 loss to the Texas Rangers. In that game, Ray lasted just into the fourth inning, allowing seven runs on nine hits with four walks. Though he was hit hard in that game, Ray was very good in his first three appearances, allowing just one run over 12 innings. Since returning to AAA, Ray has experienced his ups and downs, but went 7 1/3 innings, allowing one run on four hits in a Toledo victory on Aug. 4.
Edinson Volquez (9-7, 3.70) was brilliant in seven shutout innings against Miami his last time out on Thursday. Volquez has been one of the Pirates’ most reliable options and is 5-1 over his last seven starts, and has given his team quality starts in all of them, helping them to go 6-1 over that time. The very definition of a journeyman, Volquez is playing for his fifth team since his career began in 2005 with Texas and is on his fourth team in as many years. He has not faced Detroit since 2007.
Detroit Tigers Lineup
- Rajai Davis-LF
- Ezequiel Carrera-CF
- Ian Kinsler-2B
- Miguel Cabrera-3B
- Victor Martinez-1B
- J.D. Martinez-RF
- Alex Avila-C
- Eugenio Suarez-SS
- Robbie Ray-P
- Justin Verlander – Out Tuesday
- Anibal Sanchez – Out indefinitely
- Joakim Soria – 15-day DL
- Luke Putkonen – Out indefinitely
- Andy Dirks – Out indefinitely
- Joel Hanrahan – 60-day DL
- Jose Iglesias – Out for season
- Bruce Rondon – Out for season