Detroit Tigers (64-54) vs Pittsburgh Pirates (64-56) — 1:08 p.m. ET
Comerica Park — Detroit, MI
TV: Fox Sports Detroit
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 64 degrees, clear
More from Detroit Tigers News
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
When We Last Met
The Tigers received a nice outing from their rookie starting pitcher Buck Farmer and chiseled their way back from a 4-1 deficit to claim an 8-4 victory before a sellout crowd at Comerica Park on Wednesday night.
Max Scherzer (13-4, 3.13) was masterful in his last outing, but got nothing to show for it. Max went eight strong innings, allowing just four hits and one run while striking out 11 Blue Jays, but Joe Nathan could not hold onto the ninth inning lead and the Tigers ended up losing in 10 innings last Saturday. Since his 10-run blowout back in June, Scherzer has allowed less than two runs in eight of his nine starts, and he allowed three runs in the only other one.
Francisco Liriano (3-8, 3.82) rebuilt his career last season by earning a career-high 16 victories. This year has been a bit more problematic for the former Twin, but he has been better of late, allowing no more than two runs in eight of his last nine starts. He was the hard-luck loser his last time out when he allowed two runs on three hits but lost 2-1 to San Diego. He was roughed up a bit in the Tigers only win over the Pirates last season, allowing four runs over five innings.
Detroit Tigers Lineup
- Rajai Davis-CF
- Ian Kinsler-2B
- Miguel Cabrera-1B
- Victor Martinez-DH
- Torii Hunter-RF
- J.D. Martinez-LF
- Nick Castellanos-3B
- Alex Avila-C
- Eugenio Suarez-SS
- Justin Verlander – Day-to-Day
- Anibal Sanchez – 15-day DL
- Joakim Soria – 15-day DL
- Luke Putkonen – Out indefinitely
- Andy Dirks – Out indefinitely
- Joel Hanrahan – 60-day DL
- Jose Iglesias – Out for season
- Bruce Rondon – Out for season