Detroit Tigers (71-60) vs New York Yankees (68-62) — 1:08 p.m. ET
Comerica Park — Detroit, MI
TV: Fox Sports Detroit, MLB Network
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 70 degrees, cloudy
More from Detroit Tigers News
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
When We Last Met
It was the thing of nightmares for the Tigers and their fans. Prized trade acquisition David Price suffered the worst game of his career by allowing nine straight hits and eight runs in the third inning, which followed two shaky barely scoreless innings prior to that. The Tigers will once again rely on a rookie to hold down the fort and try to save the bullpen before another long road trip with a double-header over the weekend.
The Tigers do not have many good options for replacing Anibal Sanchez for the remainder of the season, if he is indeed out for that length of time, so they will once again turn to a rookie. This time Kyle Lobstein (0-0, 4.76) will get the nod in the series finale with the Yankees. Kyle made his major league debut for the Tigers during last Saturday’s disastrous first game of the double-header in Minnesota and actually saved the day a bit, going 5.2 innings after fellow rookie Robbie Ray could not get out of the second inning. He allowed three runs on four hits in the 12-4 loss to the Twins.
Hiroki Kuroda (9-8, 3.94) was the only Yankees’ starter the Tigers were able to do something against three weeks ago in the Bronx, posting three runs on nine hits over seven innings of the 4-3 Detroit victory. Since that start, he has gone 2-1, allowing just four runs over his last two starts, both victories.
Detroit Tigers Lineup
- Rajai Davis-CF
- Ian Kinsler-2B
- Miguel Cabrera-1B
- Victor Martinez-DH
- J.D. Martinez-RF
- Nick Castellanos-3B
- Don Kelly-LF
- Alex Avila-C
- Andrew Romine-SS
- Anibal Sanchez – 15-day DL
- Joakim Soria – 15-day DL
- Luke Putkonen – Out indefinitely
- Andy Dirks – Out indefinitely
- Joel Hanrahan – 60-day DL
- Jose Iglesias – Out for season
- Bruce Rondon – Out for season