Detroit Tigers (82-66) vs Cleveland Indians (76-71) — 1:08 p.m. ET
Comerica Park — Detroit, MI
TV: Fox Sports Detroit, TBS
Weather: 63 degrees, clear
More from Detroit Tigers News
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
When We Last Met
The Detroit Tigers were trailing late but right around the time that the Kansas City Royals were beating the Boston Red Sox, which would allow them to leap frog back into first place, Alex Avila lifted another clutch homer against the Cleveland Indians to make a 4-3 deficit into a 5-4 ultimate victory in the eighth inning. Detroit received another strong start from Kyle Lobstein and a relatively clean save from Joe Nathan to stay in first place and set them up for the potential sweep today.
Justin Verlander‘s (13-12, 4.82) up and down season went up a mid-sized hill in his last outing when he was tagged for four runs on six hits in a 9-5 win over the Royals on Monday. J.V. had tough luck on the fourth run when Torii Hunter and Don Kelly collided, popping the ball out of Hunter’s glove, resulting in a inside the park homer. The Indians tagged Verlander for seven runs (six earned) on nine hits on a 7-0 win on Sept. 3.
The Tigers knocked around Trevor Bauer (5-8, 4.12) pretty good in their last meeting, with the Tigers claiming an 11-4 victory after Bauer allowed four runs. He allowed four again in a 4-3 loss to the Twins on Tuesday.
Detroit Tigers Lineup
- Ian Kinsler-2B
- Torii Hunter-RF
- Miguel Cabrera-DH
- Victor Martinez-1B
- J.D. Martinez-LF
- Alex Avila-C
- Nick Castellanos-3B
- Andrew Romine-SS
- Rajai Davis-CF
- Phil Coke – Day-to-day
- Anibal Sanchez – 15-day DL
- Luke Putkonen – Out indefinitely
- Andy Dirks – Out indefinitely
- Joel Hanrahan – 60-day DL
- Jose Iglesias – Out for season
- Bruce Rondon – Out for season
- Nick Swisher – Out for season