UPDATE: Sources are now confirming V-Mart is back.
Could the Detroit Tigers be nearing a deal with their MVP-caliber designated hitter before he is allowed to visit other teams? Sources close to Fox’s Ken Rosenthal seem to think so.
As we’ve discussed numerous times this off-season, Victor had reportedly asked for four years, something many insiders thought the ballclub may balk at. V-Mart will be 36 years old when the 2015 season starts and if true, I suppose we will have to wait for the terms of the deal to reserve judgement. If its an option year at the back end, it might be a good deal, but four years is a long time for someone who will be in their 40’s at the end of it.
More from Detroit Tigers Rumors
- Report: Detroit Tigers could have new GM by the end of the month
- Rumor: Andrew Chafin drawing trade interest from multiple teams
- Rumor: Detroit Tigers “aggressively shopping” outfielder Robbie Grossman
- Rumor: Blue Jays interested in Detroit Tigers’ reliever Michael Fulmer
- Detroit Tigers: Where are the MLB Trade Deadline rumors?
On the other hand, V-Mart had the best year of his career at 35 and, after another solid year in 2013, it doesn’t appear he is slowing down with age. One thing is sure, at least short term, if Victor signs it does not create the yawning hole in the 2015 lineup that would have been present had he signed elsewhere.
Keep tuned to Motor City Bengals for all the latest updates on this.