Mar 14, 2014; Lakeland, FL, USA; The Detroit Tigers play the Washington Nationals during a spring training exhibition game at Joker Marchant Stadium. Mandatory Credit:David Manning
-USA TODAY Sports
Spring Training is a romantic time not only for baseball fans excited that their favorite pastime is finally awakening from its long winter slumber, but for those in the cold climates to remember what sunny, warm days look like.
More from Motor City Bengals
- Detroit Tigers Prospects: Arizona Fall League Weekly Roundup (10/31-11/4)
- The Detroit Tigers hire a new assistant pitching coach
- Detroit Tigers: AFL giving Colt Keith exactly what he needed
- Rumor: Detroit Tigers listed as possible destination for 3 free agents
- Detroit Tigers may be mulling over bringing the fences in at Comerica Park
For teams in rebuilding mold, Spring Training can be very beneficial to gauge which players will make the team and see a snapshot of what kind of team the franchise may field that season. For veteran teams like the Detroit Tigers, who expect to compete for another shot at that elusive World Series title, it can be somewhat less important.
This is because the Tigers don’t have any position battles other than possibly the fifth starter role and who among new and old relievers will land spots in the bullpen.
That is not to say there aren’t plenty of interesting story lines as we head toward Lakeland, especially with the health of many of the core players at issue.
Let’s take a trip through the slideshow to take look at the top five Detroit Tigers Spring Training story lines.