Apr 13, 2015; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Detroit Tigers pitcherJustin Verlander
(35) greets teammates during pre-game introductions before playing the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Major League Baseball is running a very fun fan vote in an effort to determine all 30 teams’ Mount Rushmore of players. In other words, who are the greatest four players in each franchises’ history.
More from Motor City Bengals
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
Motor City Bengals wanted to join in on the fun and make our own arguments for each Tigers candidate.
The fan vote on MLB.com has eight candidates for the Tigers Mount Rushmore and is also accepting write-in votes. Therefore, fans who can’t find their favorite player on the ballot can still vote for him. Voting ends on May 8.
Just virtue of the fact the Detroit Tigers have been around for over 120 years, the franchise is not short on historic players. Then, throw in the fact the Tigers have won four World Series titles and 11 American League pennants, it gets very difficult to narrow it down to Detroit’s top four players ever.
But without further ado, let’s take a look at the eight Tigers candidates for the franchise’s Mount Rushmore.