Detroit Tigers (15-8) at Kansas City (15-7) – 8:10 PM ET
Kauffman Stadium – Kansas City, MO
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 72 degrees, clear
More from Motor City Bengals
- Detroit Tigers: Mickey Lolich and Bill Freehan’s First Gem
- Detroit Tigers: Prospect Colt Keith is making up for lost time in AFL
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
The series between the Detroit Tigers against the Kansas City Royals is the biggest baseball matchup of the weekend. The Tigers definitely didn’t start the series the way they would have liked, losing on Thursday night, 8-1.
When We Last Met
Detroit starter Alfredo Simon had his first bad start of the season, pitching 4 1/3 innings and allowing six runs. He yielded nine hits, struck out six and walked two as well.
Meanwhile, Royals pitcher Danny Duffy had his best start of 2015 as he threw seven innings and allowed just one run on seven hits. He also struck out seven and walked two.
Detroit will look to rebound on Friday with fifth-starter Kyle Lobstein on the bump. It’s been a bit of a mixed bag from Lobstein through his first three starts. He is 2-1 with a 3.50 ERA and 1.39 WHIP in 18 innings. Lobstein will be in the rotation until Justin Verlander returns.
Veteran 35-year-old Chris Young will start for the Royals. He has made five appearances this season and has a 1.86 ERA in 9 2/3 innings, but this is his first start of 2015. Young is starting for the suspended Yordano Ventura. Young is 66-52 and has made 188 starts in his MLB career.