Detroit Tigers (54-57) at Kansas City Royals (66-44) — 8:00 PM ET
Kauffman Stadium — Kansas City, MO
TV: FSD, ESPN
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 81 degrees, clear
More from Motor City Bengals
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
When We Last Met
The Detroit Tigers will face the Kansas City Royals for the second time in as many weeks when the two start their three-game series at Kauffman Stadium on Monday. In the series last week at Comerica Park, the Tigers took two out of three from the Royals.
Including this series, Detroit has nine games left against Kansas City this season. In the previous 10 games, the Tigers are 5-5 against the Royals.
24-year-old left-hander Matt Boyd will be making his second career start with the Tigers on Monday. In his first outing, he allowed just one run in seven innings against the Royals. Boyd benefitted from pitching in the spacious Comerica Park in that start as he yielded 20 fly balls, none of which were long enough for a home run.
For the season, Boyd is 1-2 with a 7.90 ERA and 1.68 WHIP in three starts, but that is mostly due to allowing seven runs and not recording an out versus the Boston Red Sox back in early July.
As for the Royals, they will be sending right-hander Johnny Cueto to the mound for the second time in two weeks versus the Tigers. Boyd was able to beat Cueto as Detroit tagged Cueto for two runs on five hits in seven innings last Wednesday. The right-hander is 0-1 with a 3.46 ERA in two outings with Kansas City.
Cueto has allowed five runs in 12 1/3 innings against the Tigers this season.
Detroit Tigers Lineup
- Alfredo Simon — Day-to-Day
- Miguel Cabrera — 15-day DL
- Kyle Lobstein — 60-day DL
- Joe Nathan – Out for the Season