Detroit Tigers at Kansas City Royals Game 133 Preview, TV, Lineup
Detroit Tigers (61-71) at Kansas City Royals (81-51) — 8:10 PM ET
Kauffman Stadium — Kansas City, MO
TV: FSD and MLB Network
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 86 degrees, partly cloudy
More from Motor City Bengals
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
When We Last Met
The Detroit Tigers and Kansas City Royals have split the first two games of this three-game set, but it hardly feels like a split to the Tigers. Detroit won on Tuesday, 6-5, but the Royals crushed the Tigers, 12-1, on Wednesday. Left-hander Randy Wolf was charged with eight runs while Royals power right-hander Yordano Ventura struck out 11 and yielded just one run.
Detroit is 7-8 versus Kansas City and 4-5 at Kauffman Stadium this season.
The Tigers will send lefty Matt Boyd to the mound in the rubber match on Thursday. He has struggled in his brief time with the Tigers, going 1-3 with a 5.40 ERA and 1.467 WHIP. In his five starts with Detroit, Boyd has allowed six home runs. Hopefully the spacious Kauffman Stadium will prevent any long balls on Thursday.
Kansas City will start 32-year-old Edinson Volquez, who is having a solid season in his first year with the Royals. He is 12-7 with a 3.27 ERA, 1.258 WHIP, and 124 strikeouts in 165 1/3 innings. However, Volquez is 0-2 with a 4.85 ERA against the Tigers this year.
Detroit Tigers Lineup
The lineup will be posted once released.
- Daniel Norris — 15-day DL
- Anibal Sanchez — 15-day DL
- Kyle Lobstein — 60-day DL
- Joe Nathan – Out for the Season