Detroit Tigers fans are continuing to see the team reshape the roster. The club announced in a tweet on Friday that Kyle Ryan, Myles Jaye, Bryan Holaday and Efren Navarro have been outrighted.
Detroit Tigers players Kyle Ryan, Myles Jaye, Bryan Holaday and Efren Navarro are no longer on the team’s roster.
The relief pitcher, the starting pitcher, the catcher and the first baseman were all outrighted on Friday.
Detroit announced the move in a tweet Friday morning on the team’s official Twitter account.
The Tigers tweeted the following:
"“Additionally, the #Tigers have outrighted LHP Kyle Ryan, RHP Myles Jaye, C Bryan Holaday & Efren Navarro from the Major League roster.”"
Outrighting the quartet gives executive vice president of baseball operations and general manager Al Avila along with the rest of the front office some flexibility as the offseason kicks into full swing.
Extra roster space could help Detroit protect notable prospects from the Rule 5 draft while also allowing the Tigers the ability to add a potential contributor via that same draft.
None of the above-mentioned group were particularly impactful for Detroit last season.
Ryan spent the bulk of the year struggling in Triple-A Toledo (5.04 FIP in 45.1 innings), while Jaye logged 12.2 innings in five outings (two starts) in September.
Holaday also saw his action with the club in the season’s final month, turning in a 39 wRC+, a .236 wOBA and a .552 OPS in 29 plate appearances.
All told, Navarro registered the highest fWAR of the group at just a 0.1 stat in 69 plate appearances.
The former Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim player provided the Tigers with a first base option down the stretch as Miguel Cabrera missed time.
However, he managed just a .299 wOBA, an 82 wRC+ and a 30.4% strikeout percentage.
More from Detroit Tigers News
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
Moving forward, it will certainly be interesting to see how the situation at the position plays out.
Cabrera seems like a natural fit to move to designated hitter to help prolong his career.
If Cabrera moves to designated hitter, it would leave John Hicks as the only option at first base.
This is purely speculative mind you, but former third baseman and current right fielder Nicholas Castellanos could be a fit at first base.
Speaking of designated hitter, the Detroit Tigers also reinstated Victor Martinez from the disabled list.
The Tigers also announced the move via a tweet on the team’s official Twitter account on Friday afternoon.
Detroit tweeted the following:
"“The #Tigers have reinstated DH Victor Martinez from the 60-day disabled list.”"
The veteran twice missed time in 2017 on the disabled list due to an irregular heartbeat. He had offseason surgery earlier this year.
All told, Martinez appeared in 107 games for the Tigers last season.
He hit .255 with a .324 on-base percentage, a .372 slugging percentage and a .697 OPS.
The designated hitter added 47 RBI, 38 runs scored, 16 doubles and 10 home runs.
What’s more, the 38-year-old posted a .303 wOBA, an 85 wRC+, an 8.3 walk percentage and a 14.5 strikeout percentage that was the second-worst of his career.
His fWAR ended up at -1.1.