Red Sox 1, Tigers 0 (box)
- The Tigers had four extra base hits tonight, but couldn’t scratch out even one run. They were 0-10 with RISP for those of you that keep track.
- Phil Coke was good, but the offense again failed to help him out. He’s only received 3 runs of support per 27 outs that he’s been in the game this year. League average run support is 4.6 runs per 27 outs.
- Phil Coke’s nice outing dropped his ERA down to 3.88. That makes Brad Penny the only starter with an ERA above 4.00 (he’s at 4.11), and he’s been on fire lately having only allowed six earned runs in his last five starts. The Tigers starters have been strong this month; their combined May ERA is 1.78. I’m really liking this pitching rotation right now.
- The bullpen’s May ERA is somewhat higher than 1.78.
- I don’t think I’d be too upset if Daniel Schlereth gets sent down should the Oliver/Furbush recall come to fruition. His ERA is at 3.21, but he’s walked more batters than he’s struck out this year. Thats the sort of strategy that has gotten Brad Thomas into so much trouble.