The Detroit Tigers’ Five Biggest Plays of the ALDS

msnyder
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
6 of 6
Next

October 10, 2013; Oakland, CA, USA; Detroit Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera (24) rounds the bases after hitting a two-run home run off of Oakland Athletics starting pitcher Sonny Gray (54, left) during the fourth inning in game five of the American League divisional series playoff baseball game at O.co Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

#1 – Game 5: Miguel Cabrera homers off of Sonny Gray.

SPA: 22.9%

Shell of His Former Self (that’s his new first name, apparently) Miguel Cabrera wasn’t pitched inside much by the Oakland Athletics this series. But then Sonny Gray decided to try one inside, and Miggy, being the nice guy that he is, took time out of his busy schedule to teach the rookie a lesson. A learning experience, you might call it. Cabrera’s injury had turned his opposite-field power into warning track power, but Gray gave him a pitch he could pull, and the injured Miggy was strong enough to muscle that one out. With Justin Verlander on the mound – and dealing – the two-run home run was all the offense the Tigers would need (but they later added one for good measure).

The homer took the series odds from basically 50-50 up to 73% in favor of the Tigers. They’d finish off the remaining 27% over the next 4.5 innings as Justin Verlander (and Joaquin Benoit) slammed the door on the A’s season.

facebooktwitterreddit