Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
The Detroit Tigers faced off against the New York Yankees tonight and lost yet again, 3-2, after falling to them in last Friday’s split squad effort. Anibal Sanchez pitched three innings, struck out five and gave up four hits, including a third inning, two-run bomb to Carlos Beltran. Miguel Cabrera knocked his first extra base hit of the Spring with an easy double in the first, and Austin Jackson continued his Grapefruit League hot streak, hitting a triple in the seventh and scoring on a single from Steve Lombardozzi in the next at bat. Luis Marte gave up the game winning run in the ninth on a balk, after allowing two hits. Brad Ausmus took blame for the mistake in the post-game presser: “It was my fault. I actually gave a sign by accident.”
Notable Pitching Performances:
- Robbie Ray pitched a hit-less and scoreless fourth, but gave up consecutive walks after retiring the first batter of the inning.
- Joe Nathan pitched an inning, gave up a hit and struck one batter out.
- Joba Chamberlain continued to struggle with his control in the seventh, giving up a hit and a walk, but striking out two.
Notable Hitting Performances:
- Every starter for the Tigers tonight struck out at least once, with the exception of Lombardozzi. Danny Worth struck out three times.
- The team combined for 7 hits, with Cabrera, Alex Avila, Jackson, Lombardozzi and Nick Castellanos contributing.
The Tigers take on the New York Mets tomorrow at Joker Marchant at 1:05pm.