Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
Detroit Tigers (62-49) vs New York Yankees(59-54) — 1:05 p.m. ET
Yankee Stadium – New York, NY
TV: Fox Sports Detroit
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 81 degrees, clear
More from Detroit Tigers News
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
Miguel Cabrera is not in the Tigers’ lineup this afternoon. He seemed to injure himself while running to third base last night, but it is unclear whether it is am injury or scheduled day off for Miggy. Read more here.
When We Last Met
The Detroit Tigers offense abandoned their struggling ace, Justin Verlander, who pitched his second consecutive quality start, and looked more like his old, Cy Young winning self than he has all season. Though he only gave up two runs, the Tigers’ hitters couldn’t get another run across the plate to give Verlander a shot at the win.
The Detroit Tigers continue a four game series with the Yankees this evening. MCB co-editor Josie Parnell joined Rick Keeler on his Yanks Go Yard radio show to preview the upcoming series and talk about the two teams, you can listen to the show here.
Rick Porcello(13-5, 3.18 ERA) is looking for victory 14 on the season, coming off a dominant performance against the Rockies in which he struck out 10 batters. Porcello has had a benchmark season, many thinking he’s finally living up to his potential and it is hard to argue that fact when you look at the stats.
Porcello is 3-2 with a 4.69 ERA in his career against the New York Yankees.
Shane Greene(2-1, 3.68 ERA) last pitched 4.2 innings against the Boston Red Sox, giving up 6 hits and 3 runs while walking 2 and striking out 5. Greene is a rookie and has never faced the Detroit Tigers.
- Rajai Davis – LF
- Ezequiel Carrera – CF
- Ian Kinsler – 2B
- Victor Martinez-DH
- J.D. Martinez-LF
- Don Kelly – 1B
- Nick Castellanos– 3B
- Alex Avila – C
- Andrew Romine – SS
- Eugenio Suarez — Doubtful
- Luke Putkonen – Out indefinitely
- Andy Dirks – Out indefinitely
- Joel Hanrahan – 60-day DL
- Jose Iglesias – Out for season
- Bruce Rondon – Out for season