Detroit Tigers (63-54) vs Pittsburgh Pirates (64-55) — 7:08 p.m. ET
Comerica Park — Detroit, MI
TV: Fox Sports Detroit
Radio: 97.1 The Ticket (click for affiliates)
Weather: 75 degrees, mostly cloudy
More from Detroit Tigers News
- Detroit Tigers: Victor Reyes finding ways to get the job done
- The Detroit Tigers must cut their losses and release Jonathan Schoop
- Detroit Tigers: Garrett Hill’s new role and changed delivery are excellent
- Detroit Tigers: Joe Jiménez has rebounded in 2022
- Detroit Tigers: Is it finally time to move the fences in at Comerica Park?
When We Last Met
The Detroit Tigers swoon continued on Tuesday night. While they received a very solid starting effort from Robbie Ray, the defense was shoddy and the offense continued to be missing. The Tigers will hope a return home, where they have not played well at all this year, will turn their fortunes around.
Welcome to the big leagues, Detroit Tigers’ fifth round, 2013 draft pick, Buck Farmer. Fat meet fire. The Tigers need, absolutely need, a strong outing from their rookie. In a perfect world he could give them 7-8 innings, but we do not live in a perfect world, far from it recently for the Tigers. Fans should temper their expectations for this guy, who as late as July 25 was pitching for the Tigers single-A affiliate in Grand Rapids. He started twice at double-A Erie, going six innings and allowing two runs in each contest. Single-A and double-A are worlds away from the big leagues.
Former Twin Vance Worley (5-1, 2.30) gets the nod for the Pirates as the teams’ ongoing interleague series shifts to Detroit. The right hander has not lost since July 3 and suffered just one defeat since joining Pittsburgh in June after being dealt by Minnesota at the end of Spring Training. Worley was the Opening Day starter a season ago for the Twins against the Tigers, allowing three runs on eight hits over six innings. That was a respectable start, but he was bombed by Detroit on April 30, allowing six runs on 10 hits in 4 2/3 innings. He went to the minor leagues in late May and never returned in a Minnesota uniform.
Detroit Tigers Lineup
- Ezequiel Carrera-CF
- Ian Kinsler-2B
- Miguel Cabrera-1B
- Victor Martinez-DH
- Torii Hunter-RF
- Don Kelly-LF
- Nick Castellanos-3B
- Alex Avila-C
- Eugenio Suarez-SS
- Justin Verlander – Day-to-Day
- Anibal Sanchez – Out indefinitely
- Joakim Soria – 15-day DL
- Luke Putkonen – Out indefinitely
- Andy Dirks – Out indefinitely
- Joel Hanrahan – 60-day DL
- Jose Iglesias – Out for season
- Bruce Rondon – Out for season