Detroit Tigers: 4 Moves That Will Help Team Now and Later
Start Taking Fliers on Players
- Junior Guerra, Milwaukee Brewers SP. 6-2 record, 3.06 ERA, 3.87 FIP and 72 strikeouts in 82.1 innings pitched. 2.2 WAR.
- Miguel Gonzalez, Chicago White Sox SP. 2-4 record, 4.39 ERA, 4.31 FIP and 51 strikeouts in 69.2 innings pitched. 0.8 WAR.
- Brandon Kintzler, Minnesota Twins RP. 0-0 record, 2.42 ERA, 4.29 FIP and 16 strikeouts in 26 innings pitched. 0.7 WAR.
- Matt Joyce, Pittsburgh Pirates OF. .295 batting average, .420 on-base percentage, 27 RBI and 17 extra-base hits in 76 games. 1.0 WAR.
- All four of the above-listed players were either signed to minor-league deals or claimed on waivers since the end of last season and have gone on to find success in 2016. There are quality players hitting the market at all times.
Detroit should be taking fliers on players to fill out the back end of the bench and the bullpen to see if there are any potential fits out there. Houston took a flier on reliever Will Harris back in November of 2014. Since joining the Astros on waivers, the former Diamondback has pitched to a 1.80 ERA in 110 innings pitched. Over the same span he’s struck out 107 batters. Harris recently traveled to San Diego for the All-Star Game.
It isn’t as if the Tigers have a 40-man roster crowded with players essential to the team that is preventing moves from being made. Mike Aviles, Anthony Gose, Lowe and Jeff Ferrell have all struggled at times this season at various levels. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see one of the group designated for assignment should a move be made.